Saturday, October 12, 2013

How to Use Casual Game in Classroom


Gamification is the concept of applying game-design thinking to non-game applications to make them more fun and engaging.
One rational for using games for language learning is that games can provide interactive experiences which engage and motive students. Students will have a positive attitude toward their language learning tasks.  Game is one great way to keep students engaged in language learning process. For example, by using walkthroughs, students can concentrate on teacher’s instructions which engage students into reading or listening. Students will find those walkthroughs very helpful for completing the game, so they will pay more attention to teacher’s direction. In addition, games are filled with language features such as new vocabulary, new sentence structure which provide useful language learning resources. So students can learn in a relaxed atmosphere.
I choose a game called Phantasy QuestPersonally I played the game first 3 times without the walkthrough but I got stuck.  After 3 tries with the help of the walkthrough, I completed the game. Even with the help of walkthrough, it is very difficult at some steps; for example, using the lantern to find the plant. I tried several times before I found it in the black hole. Another hard part is going out from the cave. I had to try different ways to get to right exit so that I can move on to continuing steps. The step14 should have been ‘go back once and go top right, go to middle door, go to middle door, and go left’.
My language learning objective would be SWBAT
Recognize and understand some new vocabulary; develop listening skills by focusing on details; understand my oral walkthrough and complete the task and use the vocabulary in their daily life.
The role of the teacher would be the resource and tutor. The teacher acts as a controller at the very beginning to explain the game and to teach some new vocabulary. Then the teacher acts as a resource because the teacher provides the walkthrough to students. During the game, the teacher acts as a facilitator. When students have some problems or when they get stuck, the teacher will be supportive.
I think the students would be actively involved because there is a clear goal of this game. Once students begin to play the game, they will be motivated because they eager to finish the game successfully. Also this engagement enforces the language learning objectives.
I would use a walkthrough for the game because I found it hard to complete separately when I play the game individually before the class. Students will be frustrated if they could not find the way out. I would use the walkthrough as a listening test. Students need to listen to and understand my instruction before moving on. I would use images from the game to introduce some vocabulary before playing the game. For example, lantern, skull, plant, rope, fishing pole, skeleton, key and the theory of how to use the stick to move the rock. I would write those words on the blackboard.
I can assess whether my learning objectives had been met by using the walkthrough. If students can escape from the desert successfully following my instruction, it means they can understand the listening part. To put the game into small part will work better because I can see if students can complete each step after each walkthrough. That is, we play the game step by step and I assess one by one. Also, I can have a vocabulary test after the game to evaluate students’ mastery of those words. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good plan. By trying other casual games you may find one you like better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is really amazing
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete